Our pack has always been big on camping, and it’s a good idea to make a checklist of items to bring in order to ensure my sons and I have a good time. After numerous Cub Scout campouts, this is the list I use:
- Sleeping bags or blankets (depending on the weather)
- Sleeping pad or air mattress
- Flashlights and spare batteries
- Insect repellent
- Good shoes (flip flops and crocs are okay around the camp, but don’t really work for hiking and activities)
- Weather appropriate clothes
- Personal toiletries
- Water and snacks
- Any special dietary requirements
- If you require bee sting kits, etc. make sure you have them with you.
- A small backpack is also a useful item to bring along.
This list will give you a good starting point, but you will want to add or subtract to suit your own needs. For example, our pack has a Grubmaster who takes care of all the meals, so I never bother to bring food, other than a few snacks. What is an “essential” item that you never leave home without?